Property Valuation Protests

Who may file?
Any interested person may protest the assessed valuation of any real or personal property.

When and where to file?
The form 422A when completed, must be filed with the County Board of Equalization at the Office of the County Clerk, P.O. Box 39, Dakota City, NE 68731-0039. Time period to file Property Valuation Protest Period is June 1 to June 30.

Property Valuation Protest and Report of County Board of Equalization Action - Editable PDF (54k)

Property Valuation Protest Cover Sheet - include this cover sheet with your protest form.

Prior to filing this protest we ask that you discuss the valuation with a representative of the Assessor's office. This could very possibly eliminate the need for protest. If after consultation with the Assessors office you still wish to file a protest, please read carefully the instructions printed out with the protest form.

Reasons for Dismissal of any Protest Form:
  1. It must have a description of the property, address, legal description etc.
  2. A reason for the protest. (High taxes are not a reason)
  3. It must be signed and dated by the person filing the protest.
  4. It must be filed on or before June 30th with the clerk’s office in the county where the property is located.


If your interested in appealing the decision by the County Board of Equalization you may do so by filing with the Tax Equalization and Review Commission (TERC). Instructions on this process as well as the necessary forms are available here.